Monday, April 18, 2011

What to do with Mom Guilt

Our pastor preached on the cross of Christ yesterday, as did many others.
This is Passion Week.

The anguish Christ suffered for us.
The deep love the Father showed us.

He ended the sermon speaking on the power of the cross.

One of the things we are given, through Christ's death & resurrection 
is freedom from the power of sin & freedom from the guilt of sin.

Why do so many Christian women carry heavy "mom guilt"?
Being a parent is a huge responsibility.
One I don't want to take lightly.
But, guilt is not one of loads I need to bear.
I yell at my son.  What do I do?
Add another brick to my "bad mom backpack"?
How about when I ignored my daughter's hurt feelings?
That deserves some feelings of guilt, right?

No, I don't think so!
I don't need to haul that around.
Jesus dies for me.  For my sins.  
He gives forgiveness & freedom.
When He died for me, he took the GUILTY on His own shoulders.
He suffered under that.  For me.  So I don't have to.

Now I can take each and every sin to the foot of that cross.
Lay every burden down.  
If I repent, it is removed.  Gone.  
Even if I bring the same sin before Him, day after day, after day.
He keeps no record.  He forgives again.

As a daughter of the King, by His grace,
 I will not be a mother whose life is marked in guilt.

What to do with all your mom guilt?  Lay it at the foot of the cross.




{Source}

p.s.  If you are feeling guilty over something
that doesn't need to be taken to the cross,
because it is not sin, then you have no need to feel guilty.





7 comments:

Nicola said...

Erin, that was so encouraging. Thank you.

Also I loved your last post. The flower and lemon pictures are my favorite! I love spring time flowers coming up even when the grass is still so dead, just showing that beautiful weather is on the way!

Kamalakloster said...

Well written Erin! We too easily believe lies don't we? Thank you for the encouragement and reminder that Jesus paid it all!

hannah singer said...

so good! thank you! xo

Kristine Foley said...

Wonderfully written!! You have a beautiful spirit! Thank you for sharing yourself and your family.

Charlotte said...

Erin, this is so true...almost every day I have to make a choice about dwelling on my faults in parenting, or remembering to cling to God's grace through my imperfections. Thank you for writing this.

Mariah said...

I love this. About every 4-6 weeks I have my "I'm not a good enough Mom" breakdown. Tears. Snot. The whole shebang. My husband says that my subscription to "Mom Guilt Magazine" came in. Thanks for your words... It would be good for me to check back and read this every couple of days... keep the boo-hoos away. :)

emc said...

Thanks for writing this, Erin. I needed that just now!