We read a couple Jellyfish books.
They had good photos.
Facts we learned about the Jellyfish -
- they are mostly made of water.
- they have no brain, heart or bones.
- the smallest jellyfish can be smaller than a penny.
- the biggest can grown as long as a blue whale!
- most jellyfish live in the ocean
- their bodies are called "bells".
- They have a mouth under their bell & tentacles that hang from the bell.
- Jellyfish feel soft & gooey & are covered with mucus.
We read a book called Ooey Gooey ABC's.
There were a bunch of other mucus covered critters in there.
Then we made some Ooey Gooey Putty ourselves!
The recipe is simple
Mix 1/2 cup hot water in 1 bowl with 1/2 Tablespoon of Borax
Mix 1/2 cup water in a bigger bowl with 1/2 cup (4 oz.) Elmer's Glue
Mix borax/water into the glue/water.
Add a little food coloring.
Stir & stir. Squish & knead.
It will be separate & clumpy for a while & super slimy.
Keep going & soon you can take it out of the bowl & play with it.
Play with it in the kitchen, though.
You won't want to pick it out of the carpet.
We read a cute story book that still teaches facts about Jellies -
We were in the midst of Jellyfish school when Kendall was born.
Daddy took the big kids to the Monterey Bay Aquarium one morning
while Kendall & I rested at home.
The Jellies exhibit there is gorgeous!
But, it was hard for daddy to get a good photo
while guiding 3 littles through the crowds.
* I came across this Jellyfish photo from 3 years ago & had to add it.
Check out Gillian's hair!*
We colored this Jellyfish picture with watercolor pencils
& then painted it with water.
We did letter tracing & bean bag toss with letter j.
Words we came up with -