Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Meet Macdoel

A gas station town along Highway 97.
A speck of a town in Butte Valley.

North of Mount Shasta
(In a cloud cover on a stormy day)

South of Mount Ashland
(The snow capped peak)

East of Ball Mountain

Where cattle wander through Juniper trees. 
Where you realize that vibrating phones sound just like cattle mooing.
(The cowboy said that a lot of the cows most likely have pneumonia,
with all the bad weather we've been having. 
I guess he's checking them today.)

Where everywhere there are no Juniper trees, there are fields of Hay, Alfalfa & berry plants.
(This view is from our driveway.
Scott will be planting the field in the background soon.)



Where you can wake up in the month of May to 17 degree temps
& still be in California.

And then later in the day it might get to 60 degrees.

Where the "Cherry House" double wide trailer
 is one of the nicest houses around.

Where there are Bald & Golden Eagles everywhere.
But, I don't have a single photo of them.
(Sunday Scott drove us around & we saw about 12 Eagles in 5 minutes time.)

Where the static electricity (or elecserious, as Gillian says) is going to drive me insane. 
It's best to never wash your hair.  Then the heaviness of the grease keeps it from frizzing too much.
Also, never brush dry hair.  That brings disaster.

Where it is okay to use an Elk for a coat rack.
Or for hide & seek games.

Where the snow & bad weather keep prolonging our stay.

13 comments:

Brittany Martin said...

Maybe you can bring that elk home? He's a lonely guy, I bet he likes your family.

Melissa Joy said...

I loved getting this glimpse into Macdoel! Thank you for sharing. :) The weather sounds like where I live. :)

Stef said...

beautiful place, with crazy weather! My goodness... snow in MAY?!
I love the picture of Gillian popping her head out from under the rug. Super cute.

paisley and lace said...

It looks so beautiful up there, but we do miss you all. So. Snow, snow, go away:)

Leah said...

Great pics, but I miss the Adams!! Hope the weather warms up soon.

Krista said...

I love the ice on the wheel picture. Very nice.

Erin said...

Ice on the wheel line is a photo be Scott. I was NOT outside that early in the morning. Brrrr...

Nicola said...

It sounds like Powell!! Though we don't have the cows. I love the coat rack!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nicola S. said...

It sounds like Powell!! Though we don't have the cows. I love the coat rack!

Erin said...

Ice on the wheel line is a photo be Scott. I was NOT outside that early in the morning. Brrrr...

Krista said...

I love the ice on the wheel picture. Very nice.

Melissa Joy said...

I loved getting this glimpse into Macdoel! Thank you for sharing. :) The weather sounds like where I live. :)