Wednesday, October 13, 2010

d is for daisy - Preschool Lesson

made by my friend Annie

Preschool was at my friend Annie's house this week.  So, I didn't do much lesson planning.


The kids modeled the letter d from play dough.

She taught the kids about what is required for a daisy to grow (dirt, water, sun...)
They also talked about what people need to grow.
And lastly, what our hearts need, to grow close to Jesus.

They did a big collage, where they had to sort the images & paste them in the correct column.
(Daisy, People, Hearts)

Speaking of hearts growing close to Jesus - 
Our "D" Memory verse this week speaks to that.
"Draw near to God & He will draw near to you." - James 4:8

The kids practiced patterning, when the pasted the petals on this daisy.




















Seed Sorting - 
Before a daisy can grow, a seed needs to be planted in the dirt.
Annie had the kids sort & match different kinds of seeds.






Here's a few things we are doing at home this week for our Daisy D week.

Since Annie talked about growing & seeds, 
we came home &  read our book - What Kinds of Seeds are These?


The kids & I did a little singing at the piano -
The Daisies by Samuel Barber
Peyton especially loves piano time.


Dessert Dirt - 


We made some dessert dirt.


We layered chocolate pudding, crushed chocolate wafers & rock candies.
We hid some worms in there, to help keep the dirt healthy.
We planted a dandelion (the flower we found on our walk!) in the top.


Then we dug into the dirt.




Letter Recognition - 
I had some things written on the board for the kids to see.
I read it aloud & they had to clap each time they heard the "d" sound.
Then they came to the board & circled all of the "d" letters.


Does daddy dig the dirt to plant the daisy?


The dew drops on the daisy do a dance in the breeze.

This is just a sampling.  She comes from a really big family.



We will look for similarities & differences in these various members of "Daisy's" family.

Etymology (I'm not trying to teach my kids this word.  That's for your sake- the adult.)
It is thought that the name "daisy" is a corruption of "day's eye", because the whole head closes at night and opens in the morning. Chaucer called it "eye of the day".


Bible - 


"Consider how the lilies grow.  They do not labor or spin.  Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these."
Luke 12:27

"The grass withers & the flowers fall, but the Word of our God stands forever."
Isaiah 40:8

6 comments:

Stef said...

seeing as I LOVE daisies.... this was my favorite one :)

Anonymous said...

hi!This was a really fine post!
I come from itlay, I was fortunate to approach your Topics in wordpress
Also I obtain a lot in your theme really thank your very much i will come again

Becky said...

Hello, found you through Femina; I love your alphabet project;the letters are so pretty! 3 of our kids are in high school now and my youngest is almost seven. We have home-schooled them since they were all little; but I miss precious tiny hands sorting and playing play- dough and doing alphabet projects!

I get to do some other very nice things now, and I am grateful for that too!

Enjoy your journey!

Erin said...

Thanks Stef!
Becky, thanks for commenting & giving encouragement! Blessings!

Stephanie said...

"Dessert dirt" is so fun. I made it many times as a child, but have yet to make it with my girls. They'd love it, I'm sure!

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Erin said...

Thanks Stef!
Becky, thanks for commenting & giving encouragement! Blessings!