Monday, March 3, 2008

The Life of the Farmer - Blithe Tomato


Upon the recommendation of my sister, Scott & I have both been reading the book, Blithe Tomato. I just finished it. I had a hard time putting it down. I am not a great reader. Such a thing is rare for me, to be totally into a book. I loved this one. Times when I should have been catching up on sleep, instead I found myself reading about all the marvelous characters of the author's local Farmer's Market. The book is full of short essays, on the life of a small farm farmer. The short stories make it the perfect book for reading while nursing your babe, or while waiting in line at the drive thru, or while using the restroom........

Anyway. The author has a lot of opinions, that we don't share. But, he would probably be surprised & confused by the fact that we do agree or at least empathize with much he has to say. This would probably surprise him because, to him, Christianity is "incomprehensible". And, folks who voted for Bush "show their own true character of people who cast their votes for a violently exploitative attitude toward the planet & its creatures". Hmmmm...

Although Mr. Madison makes fascinating observations about the people around him, I think there are some of us, whom he wouldn't understand too well...

4 comments:

big hair betty said...

In line at the drive thru?? While I love them, especially Burger King, I don't think I've read a book to pass the time in one. But, the book does sound interesting!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful book! I absolutely love his writing style and observations on life.

nourishing said...

Wonderful book! I absolutely love his writing style and observations on life.

big hair betty said...

In line at the drive thru?? While I love them, especially Burger King, I don't think I've read a book to pass the time in one. But, the book does sound interesting!