Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Consumable Christmas for kids - Play Dough

When I posted my Consumable Christmas idea, Melissa had a super valid question,
 - what about the wee ones?
Although little tikes can appreciate a fun outing as much as the rest of us,
opening a piece of paper with a promise written on it
doesn't translate very well.
So, what to give the little ones & not just give tons of stuff that turns into clutter?
I'm still thinking about it.
I do, for sure, want them to be able to have things they love.
This won't be a ban on presents.
We still love presents.

Here is an idea that could be made for little kids.


Peanut Butter Play Dough

Materials
  • 2 cups peanut butter
  • 6 tablespoons honey
  • Nonfat dry milk or milk plus flour
  • Cocoa or carob for chocolate flavor (optional)
  • Edible treats for decoration
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix, adding enough dry milk or milk plus flour to reach the consistency of bread dough.
  2. Add cocoa or carob, if desired.
  3. Shape, decorate with edible treats, and eat!



This one is not literally supposed to be consumed.  But, it won't kill 'em.
And even if they don't eat it, it won't hang around cluttering forever.
Playdough gets old & gets to be thrown out.

Homemade Play Dough


Materials
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup salt
  • 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
  • Food coloring
  • Saucepan
  • 1 cup flour
Directions
  1. Combine water, oil, salt, cream of tartar, and food coloring in a saucepan and heat until warm.
  2. Remove from heat and add flour.
  3. Stir, then knead until smooth. The cream of tartar makes this dough last 6 months or longer, so resist the temptation to omit this ingredient if you don't have it on hand.
  4. Store this dough in an airtight container or a Ziploc freezer bag.

5 comments:

Brittany Martin said...

Mmmm...I think I could eat some peanut butter play-doh myself.

laura g. said...

This is such a great idea! I actually went and made the second play dough recipe with Jenna after reading your post (the kneading part is perfect for little hands, once it cools a bit). I think next time I'll try to get some essential oils so it's not quite so...salty-smelling.

Stef said...

my Mom made peanut butter play dough for us ALL the time when we were little and as soon as Ethan was old enough, I began making it for him... and now make it for all 3 of them. I love the smell, I love the taste, I love to play with something I get to eat and having it be OK. But most of all, I love the fun memories it brings back.

Melissa Joy said...

This is great! Can you keep the ideas rolling, please? ;)

Stephanie said...

We have yet to pay with or make play-dough (I think it's about time).

Thank you for the recipes.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net