Thursday, November 29, 2007

Doing it Simply

Yesterday was my good husband's birthday. I pretty much don't make him breakfast on weekdays. And, I don't get him bacon very often. But, yesterday, when he got up to give Gillian her morning bottle, I too, pulled myself out of bed. Bacon, eggs & toast is so simple. I shouldn't act like it was some big feat. But, I did it. And, he was glad & I was glad.

Since I haven't been feeling too well lately, I didn't plan any gourmet dinner. I went to the Pink Godzilla & ordered take-out Sushi. He is a sushi fan, loving Sashimi most of all. But, I kinda bombed that one. I don't know too much about the Japanese / sushi lingo. And, I bought him Maguro Natto. The Sashimi came in a weird soybean pile with a raw egg yolk on top. But, Scott is a trooper. I guessed he liked it anyway. My homemade contribution to dinner was a Spiced Orange cocktail & beer-batter Tempura. Those were both a success.

Dessert was Panna Cotta with Fig & Cranberry Compote. (I know, not paired well with the dinner menu... Japanese - Italian....) That was tasty. Gillian was crazy for it. It was really easy, too. I am glad Scott requested something simple.

I had dreamed of making a Mille Crepe Cake. Crepe layered with custard, piled up like a cake. But, Scott was sly & picked something easy, knowing that when I am overly ambitious, I am a none-too-pleasant stress mess. And, I don't think that would've been a very good birthday present...

5 comments:

faithsalutes said...

Doing it simply? What is this Iron Chef dessert?

I cant even make cookies.

Erin said...

You goof. This is easier than cookies. It is cooked milk.

Leah said...

"knowing that when I am overly ambitious, I am a none-too-pleasant stress mess"

Can I just say this made me laugh, laugh, laugh?! :) That's my new name for you when you are in the middle of 50 gazillion projects. :)

Anonymous said...

okay, so I love that our husbands have the same birthday. :)

Melissa Cummings said...

okay, so I love that our husbands have the same birthday. :)