Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Before their Season is Over - Favas

For those who wonder what in the world to do with Fava beans...




I am a bit late on this, as May was their season
& I don't know if any of you all will happen upon Favas right now.
I'm sorry.  : (
As you recall, Fava Beans need to be taken out of their big fuzzy pods,
like so -


Once you have all the beans removed from the pods,
you need to blanch the beans, so you can remove the skins.
If you have a lot of beans, I suppose it is time consuming.
But it is really simple & won't take too long for one small bag of beans.
Read here for more basics about the beans.

After you have blanched & removed the skins, you can do a quick saute in a little olive oil.
Sprinkle your favas with salt & pepper,
a splash of lemon juice & chopped chives, or maybe some shaved pecorino cheese.
Easy, fresh, healthy, yummy.

We got a second round of favas this week & I made a little red rice & fava bean salad.


I did a quick boil for the Favas, and fully cooked a little pot of red rice.
I let both cool.
(You could use any rice or grain for this, I suppose)
I chopped up celery & tossed the 3 items in a bowl.
I chopped about 1/2 a shallot & handful of flat leaf parsley. 
In a little jar I poured in 2 tablespoons of lemon juice & about 1/3 cup Olive Oil.
Salt & Pepper your dressing to taste & toss in the shallots & parsley.
Shake, shake, shake.  Pour over your bean, rice & celery.  
Tada!

We loved butter braised radishes.  Why not add some favas to the party, right?

No comments: