Tuesday, January 25, 2011

i is for inchworm - Preschool Lesson

It has been a long time since I have posted a preschool lesson.
(That's because it has been a long time since I've done one.
The kids had to start begging for the next letter.)


The kids were thrilled.


The theme has been inchworms & measuring.

I haven't been too creative here lately, friends.  
We've mostly been reading books.

Here's our list.

Inch by Inch by Leo Lionni
This book is a Caldecott Honor book.  It is pretty, fun & short.  The kids love it.

Inchworm and a Half by Elinor Pinczes
This book teaches a little bit about measuring, 
very simplistically, using worms & inches.

This book is a little bit above preschool level in the measurement lessons.  
But, it is still good exposure.  Gillian found it interesting.  
It didn't hold Peyton's interest.


Measuring Penny by Loreen Leedy

This book is also above preschool level in the measurement lesson.
But, the story is fun.  
The character is measuring dogs with various units of measure.
The kids love it & again, 
it is just early exposure on stuff they will learn in a few years.


This book only had one picture of an inchworm.  But we found it at the library.
And, it is a real photo.  
Totally different from the cute cartoon depictions of the inchworm in our other books.
The book shows neat photographs of insects blending in with their surroundings.

This is another library book that had one things about an inchworm.
The book was pretty cute with poetry & art work for various insects.  
I liked most of them.  They were pretty clever.


We played a tossing game with our letter "i" beanbag.
When the bag got tossed to you, you had to say 
a word that started with "i". 
I had to offer a lot of help.

  • insect
  • inchworm
  • inside
  • inch
  • internet
  • itch
  • interesting
  • imagination
  • italy
  • impossible
  • if

We tried to inch across the carpet like inch worms.
By saying "we" I mean the kids.  It looked pretty hard.  
There was no way I figured I should attempt an inchworm crawl,
at 9 months pregnant.


I cut a bunch of ribbons into various lengths 
& let the kids choose one of each ribbon from a jar.
After each ribbon pick, we measured out how many inches long the piece was.
We made comparisons for what was shorter or longer.



After all the measuring, they arranged the ribbons how they liked it on paper 
& then glued them down.

That's about all, folks.  Other than the standard letter tracing & sand writing.

6 comments:

Nicola said...

So cute! I love the inchworm.

Stephanie said...

I am always so impressed by your lesson plans! (Your kids are all going to be geniuses). :)

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Charlotte said...

Once again, I love this. What a creative idea to cut out ribbon and have them measure the length. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so focused on my older children's schoolwork; my 5 year old would really benefit from this kind of stuff.....oh for more hours in the day. Great job, Erin!

Charlotte said...

Once again, I love this. What a creative idea to cut out ribbon and have them measure the length. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so focused on my older children's schoolwork; my 5 year old would really benefit from this kind of stuff.....oh for more hours in the day. Great job, Erin!

Stephanie said...

I am always so impressed by your lesson plans! (Your kids are all going to be geniuses). :)

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Laura said...

I really like these ideas! :) Thanks for sharing! {Great mental image of a pregnant mama trying to be an inchworm...} Love it.