Monday, June 20, 2011

Candles in Sweaters

So, this table setting?
I was inspired by Dottie Angel



This project could not have been easier.
I used old sweaters.
It took me one hour 
(mom time - that means constant interruptions, right?)
to make 9 jar sweaters.



I literally cut the cuffs off of sweaters, & slipped them over jars.
I know not everyone has white sweaters, 
or lace sleeved sweaters that they have been saving in the closet for 
10 years for a time such as this.  (Maybe not quite that long - 8-6 years...)
You could look at the thrift store.  Or not.



Half of the jars just have a piece of stretch lace sewn around them.
That you can do, even if you didn't save a sweater to sew on your jars.
You could also use doilies.
Or cool old lace tablecloths.
Just cut the strip to fit the jar, 
a lot like you would cut a piece of wrapping paper. - 
a bit of extra on all sides.
When you sew up the side to join the lace around the glass,
make broad stitches to take in a good amount of lace.
With a loose, open lace, you'll need a good amount of it in 
each stitch, so you don't pull on one spot too much.
(I don't know if that made any sense.  
But, I don't take good enough photos to do a photo tutorial.)

Linking up with Heather's Life Made Lovely Monday.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

This is the kind of thing I see and then say, "Why didn't I think of that?"

I absolutely love mason jars and since I don't have any lacy white sweaters around, I'll keep that on my list the next time I am at the thrift store.

And I am loving your Dinner at Eight. Keep it up, even though it can be hard. Your marriage is worth it. :-)

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

Great idea and so easy!

We are hosting a link party called “Help a Momma Out” every Tuesday! This would be an awesome link up! I would appreciate if you'd add it. Thanks in advance for your consideration :)

Kristine
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

grey rose (they/them) said...

love this project, erin!! endless possibility with the sweater styles. super fun! thanks for sharing.

xo